Gingerbread Waffles with Hot Chocolate Sauce
Prep: 25 min / Cook: 25 min / Ready In: 50 min
- 1 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, heat molasses and 1/2 cup butter until almond boiling. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in baking soda, milk and egg.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the molasses mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot with chocolate sauce.
- To make chocolate sauce: In a saucepan, combine water, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter; stir until smooth.
Nutritional Information: Calories: 664 / Total Fat: 21.9g / Cholesterol: 88mg
Frozen Yogurt with Chunky Peanut Chocolate Sauce
Cook: 15 min / Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup or chocolate fudge sauce
- 2 cups frozen yogurt or ice cream (any flavor)
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine peanut butter and chocolate syrup. Microwave on HIGH 15 seconds, or until warm and melted. Stir to combine. Spoon frozen yogurt or ice cream into individual dessert bowls. Spoon peanut-chocolate sauce over frozen yogurt just before serving.
Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Pie with Mocha Fudge Sauce
Start this a day ahead and freeze overnight. For the crust, blend crumbled vanilla wafer cookies in a processor until crumbs form.
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs (from about 32 cookies)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pints caramel ice cream (such as dulce de leche)
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend pecans and sugar in processor until pecans are finely ground. Add cookie crumbs and cinnamon and process to combine. Add butter and blend until moist clumps form. Press crust onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch glass pie dish. Bake until crust is lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Stir 2 tablespoons boiling water and coffee powder in small bowl until powder is dissolved. Whisk sugar and cocoa in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in 1 cup cream, corn syrup, and coffee mixture. Add chocolate and butter. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Soften 1 pint ice cream at room temperature 15 minutes. Spread evenly over bottom of crust. Drizzle 3 tablespoons sauce over ice cream. Freeze until sauce sets, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften remaining 1 pint ice cream at room temperature 15 minutes. Spread evenly atop sauce. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons sauce. Freeze pie until frozen, at least 4 hours. DO AHEAD Sauce and pie can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate sauce. Keep pie frozen.
- Rewarm mocha fudge sauce over low heat, stirring often. Whip 1/2 cup chilled cream, powdered sugar, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl until peaks form. Transfer to pastry bag fitted with star tip. Pipe rosettes of cream around top edge of pie. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Cut pie into wedges and serve with sauce.
Grasshopper Ice Cream Sandwiches With Hot Fudge Suace
This dessert combined mint and chocolate, cookie and ice cream, and hot and cold. The dough is very pliable; after placing it into the corners with your fingers. Dough can be refrigerated on sheet, covered, up to 1 day.
Prep: 35 minutes / Total: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2/3 cup (1 1/3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheet.
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for baking sheet
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 quart mint chocolate-chip ice cream, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Hot Fudge Sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet; dust with flour, tapping out excess. Set aside. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, gradually beat in flour mixture. Pat dough into a rectangle. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough between wax paper into a 10-by-15 rectangle. Remove top paper; use the bottom to flip dough onto prepared sheet. Score into 20 sqaures with a paring knife. Pierce holes over squares.
- Bake until just firm, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Cut into sqaures; let cool completely.
- Sandwich ice cream between two cookies. Wrap in plastic; freeze to set, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve plain, or place on plates, and drizzle with hot fudge.
Frozen Pistachio Dessert with Raspberry Sauce Recipe
12 Servings/ Prep: 35 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant pistachio pudding mix
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- In a small bowl, combine the wafers, finely chopped pistachios and butter. Press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the pudding.
- Set aside 3/4 cup whipped topping for garnish; fold remaining whipped topping into cream cheese mixture. pour filling over crust. Freeze for 5 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining whipped topping.
- For sauce, place the raspberries, sugar and liqueur in a food processor. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Strain and discard seeds and pulp. Refrigerate until serving.
- Remove dessert from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with chopped pistachios and remaining whipped topping. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice with 4 teaspoons sauce equals 214 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 268 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Pound Cake with Brandied Peach Sauce Recipe
6 Servings/ Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brandy or apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons peach preserves
- dash salt
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 5 medium) or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 6 slices pound cake
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, brandy, sugar, peach preserves and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add peaches; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Remove peaches to a bowl; set aside. Bring sauce mixture to a boil; cool and stir until reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners’ sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla; beat until peaks form.
- Add reduced sauce and remaining vanilla to peaches; stir gently to combine. Serve with pound cake and whipped cream. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice with 1/3 cup sauce and 1/3 cup whipped cream equals 346 calories, 21 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.