Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Vanilla frosting “marshmallows” are piped onto devil’s food cupcakes to mimic the look of a favorite hot drink. Don’t forget the pretzel “cup handles!”
Prep: 20 min / Total: 1 hr 25 min / Makes: 12 cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups devil’s food cake mix with pudding (from 18.25-oz box)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whipped vanilla frosting (from 12-oz container)
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 6 miniature pretzel twists, broken in half
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F for shiny metal pan (or 325 degrees F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 17 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix frosting and marshmallow creme. Spoon into small resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag. Cut 3/8-inch tip off 1 corner of bag. (Or spoon mixture onto cupcakes instead of piping.)
- Pipe 3 small dollops of frosting mixture on top of each cupcake to resemble melted marshmallows. Sprinkle with cocoa. Press pretzel half into side of each cupcake for cup handle.
If you like peppermint, frost these fun cupcakes with the frosting mixture, and sprinkle the tops with crushed candy canes.
- Total Fat 9g
- (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g,
- Trans Fat 1 1/2g),
- Cholesterol 20mg;
- Sodium 300mg;
- Total Carbohydrate 37g
- (Dietary Fiber 0g,
- Sugars 22g),
- Protein 2g;
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- 0 Starch;
- 0 Fruit;
- 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrate;
- 0 Skim Milk;
- 0 Low-Fat Milk;
- 0 Milk;
- 0 Vegetable;
- 0 Very Lean Meat;
- 0 Lean Meat;
- 0 High-Fat Meat;
- 2 Fat;
Chocolate & Candy Cane Marshmallows
- 24 large marshmallows
- 5 regular size candy canes
- 2 oz. chocolate bark
- 2 oz. dark chocolate chips
- Place candy canes in a study sealed bag and crush with a rolling pin or mallet.
- Place crushed candy canes in a small dish.
- Place the chocolates in a small dish and melt, stirring the chocolates together.
- Dip one end of each marshmallow in the chocolate, then shake it gently to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Then press into the crushed candy canes.
- Place marshmallows on a wax paper-covered baking sheet and refrigerate briefly, until the chocolate hardens.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy on their own or in hot cocoa.