White Hot Chocolate
Cook: 15 mins / Servings: 5
A cup of this creamy, spicy hot cocoa drink makes coming in out of the cold even more of a treat. Topped with slivers of vanilla candy coating and sprinkled with cinnamon, this toasty beverage is the perfect reward for shoveling the driveway. It may even entice kids to come in out of the snow after a few hours of sledding and snowball fights.
- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream*
- 3/4 cup vanilla-flavor baking pieces or vanilla-flavor candy coating, chopped
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Slivers or vanilla-flavor candy coating (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Combine 1/4 cup of the half-and-half or light cream, vanilla baking pieces or chopped candy coating, stick cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan; whisk over low heat until vanilla baking pieces or candy is melted. Remove stick cinnamon.
- Add remaining half-and-half or light cream. Whisk until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Serve warm in cups or mugs; top with slivers of vanilla-flavor candy coating and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired. Makes 5 (6-ounce) servings.
- *Note: To reduce fat, you may substitute low-fat milk or evaportated fat-free milk for the half-and-half.
- Tip: To create the foamy layer on top, blend some of the hot chocolate mixture in a blender container until frothy, and add to each serving.